Saturday, April 17, 2010

Just A Man

Just a Man
by Joshua Silva

I used to be a very mean man
The kind of man nobody really wanted to know,
but nobody could escape
The kind of man that took comfort in empty liquor bottles
and broken down whores

I used to be a very holy man
The kind of man full of questions on his tongue
and God in his heart
The kind of man who took solace in nature
and the wholeness of beauty

I used to be a very lonely man
The kind of man who hid from the world
yet always yearned for touch
The kind of man who lived alone
and feared eyes of joy

I used to be a very social man
The kind of man who kept the company of friends
and passionate lovers
The kind of man that shook hands with a smile
and deeply embraced others

I used to be a very dying man
The kind of man who gave up on living
and sought peace in death
The kind of man who fondled razor blades and pills
hoping one bloody slip could bring silence

I used to be a very living man
The kind of man who roamed the earth
in search of every new thing
The kind of man who valued experience and truth
at the expense of any risk

I used to be a very quiet man
The kind of man who shied from conversation
never choosing to be recognized
The kind of man who grew nervous in a crowd
hiding shaky hands

I used to be a very loud man
The kind of man who always had something to say
and a point to be made
The kind of man who believed in revolution
screaming freedom in every deaf ear

I used to be a very hateful man
The kind of man who smiled when others wept
delighted by misery
The kind of man who would break a lonely heart
just so I could feel my own

I used to be a very loving man
The kind of man who only wanted joy for everyone
and cared deeply for a stranger
The kind of man who cried for the anguish of others
wishing to mend the heart of the world

I used to be every kind of man
But men will always love
and men will always hate
Men will always live
And then men will always die

I used to be every kind of man
But today I am just a man

No comments:

Post a Comment